Conversation with my teacher:
Teacher: what are your goals for cello, music, that is?
Me: I’d like to perform Bach Cello Suites 1, 2 and 3 at a recital in the next two years.
Teacher: And you should play them by memory
I am flattered that he feels that I can do this by memory but that’s basically 18 separate pieces of music…time wise that’s about an hour of music to memorize!
So I’ve decided to make this my goal with a performance by memory in the Autumn of 2020. My schedule:
- March 2019 – Perform all of Suite 1 from memory.
- Late Spring 2019 (music studio recital) play Suite 2 with sheet music.
- Fall 2019 – (music studio recital) Perform Suite 3
- Throughout 2020, perform (Virtual / video) each suite by memory.
- Fall 2020 (music studio recital, but may be virtual or recorded), try to perform all three suites by memory.
I just need to do it.